Thursday, November 4, 2010

Theo hoping to establish himself as a striker in 'next couple of years'

Arsenal winger Theo Walcott is targeting a role as a striker in the future after recently making his return from an ankle injury.

The pacey forward scored an outstanding individual breakaway goal in the 2-1 defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League on Wednesday night and he aims to stay on the on the goal trail and help make sure Arsenal's promising season continues.

The England star damaged his ankle while on international duty in September but has already had an impact since his return, scoring twice in the League Cup win against Newcastle United.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has tipped Walcott to eventually finish up in a central role like former Gunners favourite Thierry Henry.

And Walcott said: "I will play anywhere for the Arsenal, but it is nice to know the manager has got different hopes for me playing up front because for me personally I am a striker.

"It is nice to get within the goals because I have tended to miss out at times - I am trying to catch up a bit of time.

"But hopefully in the next couple of years you will see me be up front and I am looking forward to that.

"I have been practising in training and that seems to be paying off, so hopefully I can continue doing that."

No comments:

Post a Comment