Monday, December 13, 2010

We can show the world how powerful we are: Says Arsene Wenger

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has called on his charges to show their might by beating Manchester United to stay at the top of the Premier League.



The two sides meet on Monday with the Gunners in pole position, ahead of their opponents by a single point - though United still have a game in hand.
The Frenchman has been discussing the maturity of his young side for a few years, and now believes that the time is ripe to showcase the strength they possess as a team.




"We have an opportunity to show how good we are - that is what you want in life," said Wenger to reporters.
"Let's go without any preconceived ideas, not [thinking] about any weakness of Manchester United, nor about any weakness from us, just let's focus on the day, to give your best, play with belief, play for each other and we have a good chance to beat anybody."
Wenger maintained: "I know that my team will be really up for it, and I always have great belief in my players - I know how hungry they are for success and am sure that will come out in the game."


Wenger and his Old Trafford counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson shared a frosty relationship in the past, but in recent years the pair have expressed a mutual admiration for each other.


"It's always for me in the heat of the moment," added Wenger, on the club's official website.
"I'm not somebody who bears grudges for years. I can forgive - indeed, sometimes I need to be the person to be forgiven - but I'm not somebody who thinks for 10 years, forever, 'I will hate you'.
"Relations with people go up and down a little bit. Why? Because many things happen in the heat of the moment and you know it's not for definite.


"I had [arguments] not only with him but with other managers."


Young star Theo Walcott has started only three games in the league this season, while making five substitute appearances in the process. But the former Monaco boss insists that his four goals so far do not make him an "impact substitute".


"Frankly I can understand that because for me Theo Walcott is doing well," Wenger said.


"For me he is not an impact player, he is a regular player.

"At the moment he does not play as often as he should but he will play soon.


"In fairness, Theo is fantastic. His attitude and behaviour has been absolutely great."


No comments:

Post a Comment